Revision Breast Surgery
Breast augmentation in Virginia is more popular than ever, and most patients are very happy with their results. However, breast implants are not permanent medical devices and even under the best of circumstances they may eventually need to be replaced. Revision surgery can be more involved than the original breast augmentation, so it is very important that you select a surgeon who is well-trained and experienced to perform your breast implant revision surgery in Virginia.
To learn more about revision surgery, click here to request a complimentary consultation.
Breast Implant Revision Surgery
Some women with breast implants will require revision surgery at some point, typically for one of the following reasons:
Unsatisfactory Surgical Results
- An unfortunate side-effect of the demand for breast augmentation has been an increase in the number of less-qualified surgeons performing the procedure. When doctors with no specialty training in plastic surgery techniques perform breast augmentation with implants in Virginia, any number of complications can arise. These include:
- Lopsided or asymmetrical breasts
- Unnatural rippling or wrinkling
- Excessive scarring
- Over or under-filled implants
- Another complication associated with breast implants is capsular contracture. This is when the naturally-occurring scar tissue that encircles the implants begins to harden and constrict one or both of the implants, creating a firm and misshapen breast. Surgery is necessary to remove the excessive scar tissue and possibly to replace the implant.
Breast Implant Exchange
Even when patients are initially happy with their plastic surgery in Virginia, implants will need to be replaced due to rupture, leakage, or simply to upgrade to a newer implant type.
- Saline implants lose volume very quickly upon rupture, so implant revision surgery is more of an immediate concern in this case. The saline solution will be harmlessly absorbed by the body, but the resulting asymmetry must be addressed quickly. Our breast implant specialist will either replace the ruptured implant with one that is comparable, or you may opt to replace both implants with a different type.
- Silicone gel filled implants can rupture or tear without any noticeable symptoms, or they may slowly lose volume over time. Often, ruptured or degraded silicone implants are discovered during a mammogram or an MRI. In the case of older silicone gel implants, patients often want both implants removed in order to replace them with newer alternatives, such as the latest generation of cohesive silicone gel filled implants.
Sagging or Deterioration with Age
Weight fluctuations, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and changes in skin elasticity that come with age all affect the appearance of the breasts. They may begin to sag and droop, taking on a less than satisfactory appearance. In this case, a breast lift may be the appropriate procedure, either with or without the replacement of the implants.
Why Experience Counts with Implant Revision Surgery
Breast implant revision surgery is almost always more involved than the initial breast augmentation procedure. Some of the considerations involved in revision surgery include:
- Altered chest wall anatomy
- The presence of scar tissue or silicone
- Compromised skin elasticity
- How to best minimize scarring
It is crucial that revision breast surgery be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon specializing in these procedures.
Dr. Goldberg is experienced in correcting problems associated with older implants. He will take into consideration your unique anatomical and personal needs and help you to decide on the breast implant revision surgery that works best for you.
To learn more about revision breast surgery, click here to request a complimentary consultation online or call (703) 264-0904 to make an appointment.