Breast enhancement doesn't always mean going larger. As many women with large breasts know, smaller is definitely better, especially when it means achieving more pleasing body proportions and contours. Large, pendulous breasts can cause both physical and emotional discomfort, and can limit your ability to enjoy certain activities.
Breast reduction in Virginia can help you look and feel better by removing excess breast tissue and shaping the remaining tissue to form the attractive, natural-looking, and proportional contour you desire.
Dr. Andrew Goldberg is a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in breast reduction surgery. He has seen firsthand that breast reduction surgery has one of the highest patient satisfaction rates of any plastic surgery procedure in Virginia. For a woman who has suffered with the emotional and physical burdens of large breasts, breast reduction can be a life-changing experience.
If breast sagging is the major concern, then you may only need a breast lift, which removes mostly skin and raises the breast.
To learn more about breast reduction, click here to request a complimentary consultation.
Breast Reduction Surgical Options
Women with very large breasts experience very real physical and mental discomforts. Patients seeking breast reduction, or reduction mammoplasty, are typically seeking relief from:
- Neck and back pain
- Skin irritation beneath the breasts
- Posture problems
- A feeling of being disproportionate or "top heavy"
- Limitations on physical activities/exercise
- Unwelcome attention and social discomfort
- Inability to find clothes that fit
Due to the number of health problems associated with very large breasts, some health insurance companies will cover all or part of the cost of reduction mammoplasty. The staff at our Fairfax County breast enhancement practice can help you work with your insurance company to obtain the maximum benefit for your breast reduction.
The Breast Reduction Procedure
Breast reduction is an outpatient procedure requiring general anesthesia, which is administered by a board certified anesthesiologist. Breast reduction typically involves the removal of excess breast tissue, skin, and fat through carefully placed incisions. Liposuction is often required to remove excess fat.
Depending on the amount of reduction desired and your particular anatomy, Dr. Goldberg will use one of the following incision methods:
- The Anchor-Shaped Incision is the most commonly used in breast reduction surgery. This incision encircles the areola, descends vertically then curves along the natural crease under the breast forming an anchor shape. This larger incision is necessary to achieve the greater degree of reduction that is needed by many of our breast enhancement patients. In addition to the removal of tissue, fat, and skin, the areola can be reduced by removing skin at the perimeter.
- Vertical or "Lollipop" Breast Reduction is an option for women requiring a lesser degree of reduction. The incision encircles the areola then descends in a straight line, forming the lollipop shape. After the incision is made, the nipple is moved to a higher position on the breast, with nerves and blood vessels left intact. Then the extra breast tissue, fat, and skin is removed and the breast is lifted and tightened.
Breast reduction involves more than just decreasing the volume of the breasts. Your surgeon must sculpt the breast tissue to create an aesthetically pleasing shape and contour. To achieve results you can enjoy for many years to come, it is important that you select a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience performing breast reduction surgery.
Dr. Goldberg is board certified, with over 24 years of experience performing plastic surgery in Virginia. He understands the unique needs of the breast reduction patient, and he will tailor your surgery to your specific goals.
To learn more about your breast reduction options, click here to request a complimentary consultation with Dr. Goldberg. Or call (703) 264-0904 to make an appointment.