- Many women have never been satisfied with the size of their breasts.
- Others are considering breast enlargement after seeing their breast volume decline over the years, especially after childbirth.
- Some women feel that, although their breasts are "fine," they would like to have more dramatic curves to achieve their desired appearance.
Whatever the motivation, it is important to recognize that breast augmentation with implants in Virginia is not a one-size-fits-all procedure. Dr. Goldberg takes many factors into consideration when evaluating a patient for breast enlargement.
New technology and techniques have made this popular procedure safer and more comfortable than ever before. Dr. Goldberg utilizes advanced breast augmentation techniques and will customize your procedure to give you the results best suited for your body and lifestyle.
To learn more about breast augmentation, click here to request a complimentary consultation.
Breast Augmentation Information
Breast augmentation is one of the most commonly performed plastic surgery procedures each year, with hundreds of thousands of women choosing to undergo this cosmetic surgery. However, the decision to undergo breast enlargement is only the beginning. There are several other choices to be made in the process of designing your ideal breast enhancement procedure.
Breast Implant Incision Types
Dr. Goldberg performs breast augmentation utilizing the following incision placements. Each has pros and cons, and these will be discussed thoroughly during your consultation.
- The periareolar incision is a small incision along the bottom border of the areola (the circle of darker skin around the nipple). This allows very direct access to the interior chest anatomy and the incision may be re-used for subsequent breast surgeries if necessary. Typically, this incision type leaves little noticeable scarring.
- The inframammary incision is probably the most commonly used incision method. This small incision is made along the underside of the breast and is generally well concealed in the fold beneath the breast. This incision allows for the most direct access to the interior breast anatomy and optimal implant placement and adjustment.
Breast Implant Placement
After you've decided on the incision type that works best for you, you and your surgeon will need to determine whether the implant should be placed beneath the chest muscle (subpectoral) or atop the muscle (subglandular).
- Subpectoral or submuscular placement involves placing the implant beneath the chest muscle and breast tissue. This method typically produces a more natural-looking and feeling breast, since more of your own tissue is covering the implant. However, recovery time will be slightly longer and less comfortable with this method due to the fact that the incisions penetrate the muscle wall.
- Subglandular placement positions the implant behind the breast tissue, but above the chest muscle. This placement results in a more comfortable and quicker recovery, but is not suitable for everyone. The implant is more visible with this placement method, so the result is typically not as natural-looking as with submuscular placement. It does not produce good results for women with very thin skin or very little breast tissue.
Breast Implant Options
One of the most important choices associated with your Fairfax breast augmentation is the selection of the right breast implant type. You will need to determine which size, shape, and material will best achieve your breast enhancement goals. Learn more about your options for breast implants.
Once you've decided to undergo breast augmentation, you will face numerous other decisions along the way to achieving your desired results. Perhaps the most important decision is selecting a surgeon with the credentials, experience, and level of patient satisfaction that you are looking for. At Virginia Plastic Surgery, we know that each procedure is as unique as the woman undergoing it, and we will customize your surgery to meet your personal needs.
If you are ready to take the next step toward breast augmentation, click here to request a complimentary consultation with Dr. Goldberg. Or call (703) 264-0904 to make an appointment.